In today’s review, we are discussing one of the high-end drum sanders (when we say high-end, it’s the magnitude of the job the machine undertakes and accomplishes) available in current market. It’s a machine mainly preferred for heavier jobs and in this review, let’s explore and figure out how this product scores in various aspects and we would be glad if the article serves as a pointer/guide to choose the product for your sanding needs.
Detailed Review of Powermatic 1791290 Model DDS-225 Drum Sander
The Powermatic 1791290 Model DDS-225 is a drum sander produced by the WHM tool group. If you are looking for power, precision, and control, look no further than this machine. It offers better quality and performance than the previous models. With minimal complaints and recommendations by the professionals, it sure is a standout invention. Efficiency and effectiveness are the two words that perfectly depict the Powermatic 1791290 Model DDS-225 25-Inch Drum Sander.
About the Maker
Before going into the details of this machine lets first take a look at the company that built it. It will give you a general idea of what to expect from this product. The WHM tool group is now known as the Walter Meier Manufacturing Inc., the change in name is for branding purposes. It is a special unit of the Walter Meier AG that deals with technological innovations. It was established in 1937 and now works in around 70 countries around the globe. Walter Meier (Manufacturing) Inc. is the proprietor of Wilton, Jet, and Powermatic brands.
The organization’s mechanical, metal and woodworking along with material handling equipment are demanded worldwide. It is a client driven company. Lots of effort is put in to ensure that customers are always provided solutions to their problems. Not only does this company offer you it’s experience, but reliability and professional services as well. Rest assured, you are in safe hands.
Specifications of Powermatic 1791290
This machine includes an engine with horsepower 5 and 230 volts to control the twin poly V-belts. It is not only powerful but also durable. The double steel drums have a hard durometer elastic covering to guarantee a level, damage free finish. Freely customizable back drum makes it easy to calibrate. A substantial cast iron table fuses four strong jack screws to always keep it balanced and provide support.
The 1/4HP sustain engine is coupled to a two-speed forward/switch gearbox that will sand 8 and 12 surface feet for every moment. It’s fit for taking care of up to 25 inches in width. It has a steel framework and cabinet that not only minimises the vibration but also provides adequate space for storage.
The motor is linked with both forward and invert gearbox enhances its performance. The dual speed gear box allows the drum sander to be used for multiple sanding projects. Dust removal is relatively easy on this machine and is necessary to keep it working smoothly. The two four-inch dust ports are accessible and make the process of cleaning easier.
The Powermatic 1791290 Model DDS-225 drum sander can be adjusted according to the user’s requirement. This implies they are perfect for any venture you may want to work on. As the machine itself is entirely covered, the danger of harm is insignificant. Both the user and the machine itself is secured. Many other drum sander models quit working after an external impact, for example, something falling or hitting them in the wrong place. However, this machine is not affected by such things. It is strong enough to bear any minor mishaps.
- The quality of the drum sander is worthy of the price tag that comes with it. You don’t have to compromise on the quality of the product you make with this machine.
- This machine is very easy to, first of all, put together and then use it. User-friendly is the best word that can be used to describe it. The range of adjustments that if offers make it suitable for all kinds of users.
- The output you get from this machine will not only be precisely what you want to design but is will also be in perfect condition. There will be no damage to the product.
- The best part is that it is safe to use. With the covered cabinet and overall structure of the Powermatic drum sander, there is no danger to the ones using it.
- The performance is top-notch. No need to look around if you want power, precision, and performance.
- The machine additionally accompanies a 1-year guarantee from the producer. Thus, you can avail their services if you face any problem.
- The machine weighs about 800 pounds collectively with the cabinet. Moving it around will be tough since it weighs a lot. Hence, you have to place is at an assigned space that can support its weight and from where it does not have to be moved around.
- Any torn sandpaper can cause significant harm to the rubber drums. It requires extra attention, and you need to consider the upkeep of this machine. If the sand paper tears and you do not maintain the machine at once, this may not only affect the quality of the output but may harm the machine itself. The maintenance can prove to be quite expensive.
- There is not any sandpaper available that can be swapped for this machine. The wraps require a lot of experimentation, and it isn’t the right fit. Along with this, there are no instructions available concerning it. The machine comes with a built-in 4-inch wide roll of Klingspor paper, but once you run out of it, you have to make do with a 3-inch paper. This affects the efficiency of the machine and quality of the output.
The Powermatic 1791290 Model DDS-225 drum sander is a powerful machine. Whether or not it is the right fit for you can only be determined by yourself. This review will help you make an informed decision on whether to purchase this machine or not. To us, the benefits of this machine considerably outweigh the minor drawbacks that it has. This machine will serve you for years to come, and you will have to make no compromise on the end product. Go with it.