An Oscillating Spindle Sander is a power tool that makes the task of shaping wood pieces into curves, arcs, contours and other forms; a quick and easy one. For this reason, it is an invaluable addition to your home workshop.
Oscillating Spindle Sanders are different from regular spindle sander, and the difference comes from the oscillatory (up and down) motion of the drum. Also, the oscillations leaves a consistent scratch pattern on the wood and prevents the abrasive sleeve of the oscillating spindle sander from clogging
An Oscillating Spindle Sander has as its main component is a sandpaper sleeve wrapped around a spindle-like rotating drum. Other components, such as the motor that drives the drum, are enclosed.
The Wen Brand
Wen, the makers of this Oscillating Spindle Sander have, for over 60 years, been churning out quality power tools such as electric jigsaws, electric engravers, electric soldering guns and chainsaws. Wen credits itself as the first to come up with the random orbital technology, which paved the way for most of the today’s polishers, waxers, and buffers that are used for cleaning cars.
Wen’s driving force is the desire to help woodworkers and artisans worldwide, execute their wildest imaginations; a goal that is reflected in their product line which includes, amongst others, generators, air compressors, nailers, miter saws, bench grinders, drill presses, tool chests and bench grinders.
As of its golden jubilee in 2001, the company, with headquarters in Elgin, Illinois, had sold over 50 million units of products – a clear indication of the wide acceptance of the company’s craftsmanship.
Detailed Review of The Wen 6510 Oscillating Spindle Sander
The WEN 6510 Oscillating Spindle Sander comes with a 1/2HP 3.5-Amp motor, which powers the sanding spindle to deliver up to 58 oscillations and 2000 rotations a minute. This sander is built for speed, and the lightweight means it is easy to carry around.
The accessories included in packaging are:
- 6 sanding rollers
- A dust port that can be attached to a dust extractor to keep your work area clean and reduce pollution
- A 15 by 11.5 inch cast iron worktable, which allows you handle larger projects.
Pros and Cons
The Wen Oscillating Spindle Sander has its benefits and shortcomings which are explained below:
- The higher number of oscillations (58 times per minute) of the rotating drum, ensures a smoother finish on wood.
- The plates and drums can be swapped easily to allow you handle a variety of sanding needs.
- The unit Side rods and disc slots provide convenient storage for the great diversity of the side rods, and disc slots allow you to conveniently store your sanding drums and discs.
- The sleeves and washers are easily replicable whenever the need arises such as when the unit starts vibrating sporadically or creating uneven surfaces on the material being sanded.
- The sanding sleeve attachment included in the packaging is of different sizes to allow for a wide range of curves to match all your needs.
- The Wen oscillating spindle sander offers a fantastic onboard storage (Side rods and disc slots) that allow you to conveniently organise your spindles, spindle washers, sleeves, sanding drums, discs and table inserts
- The small size of the unit means that there’s a limit to the volume of work you can do at a time. It is more suitable for home shops which have smaller and occasional woodworking or carpentry workloads.
- The smaller drum surface area and high rotation speed can cause the machine to overheat when used for long periods. It is, therefore, necessary to allow the sander to cool off for a few minutes after an extended period of use.
The Wen 6510 Oscillating Spindle Sander is a highly rated tool because of the combination of light weight and power. It’s size, silent operation, precision and cost make it an ideal home shop companion. Whether you practice woodwork as a hobby or you’re DIY enthusiast, this Oscillating Spindle Sander is a must-have for you.